Meeting Date is July 1 for Two Meetings!

THE JUNE 17 SCHEDULED MEETING FOR GPNA BOARD AND GENERAL MEETING HAVE BEEN MOVED TO A NEW DATE- THAT BEING JULY 1, 2019 WITH A 6 PM START FOR THE BOARD MEETING AND A 7 PM FOR THE GENERAL "POT LUCK DINNER' MEETING- BOTH MEETING WILL BE AT THE CENTER, 1094 E KENTUCKY STREET. AS PROMISED HERE ARE THE AGENDAS. ALL GPNA MEETING ARE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC:

 

July 1 General Pot Luck Meeting Set for 7 PM at the Center, 1094 E Kentucky Street-
 
You are asked to bring a small veggie or dessert dish. GPNA will provide the main dish. We t hank Martin's BBQ Joint on Barret Avenue for providing the main dish for us!
 
Agenda for the General Meeting
 
Pot luck supper buffet line and back to the Judy Magre Community Room
 
Judy opens meeting
 
1. -Call for election of open board member slots. Bruce is called upon to report the slate as recommended by the Nominations Committee
-Elections will be officiated by Judy and results reported
2. Speaker is called upon to present. The main speaker planned will be from the Old Forester Paristown Pointe Arts Center
3. General reporting of open activities by Steve
4. Other business call
5. Meeting adjourned.
------------------------
 
And on this same evening, as is our tradition, the regular monthly Board of Directors meeting of GPNA will begin at 6 PM at the same location. This meeting will end by 6:45 PM to allow for preparation for the General Meeting to start on time. Here is that agenda:
 
- Judy opens the meeting
 
- Monthly standing reports given including approval of the minutes
 
- Report on 6.12 meeting at City Hall concerning city budget and 4th Division police coverage and operations. (Steve)
 
- Report on the Raised Gardens (by Mary)
 
- Report on Flag Day 2019 celebration. (Judy, Mike and Mary)
 
- Reporting on abandoned properties and property sales being tracked. This includes both commercial and residential. (by Mike)
 
- What are the plans for a 2019 CycLouvia? (Steve)
 
- Report of Neighborhood Core Group meeting held at St. E's (Mary, Mike)
 
- Issue of having stop signs added by Boyle- Dandridge area of the neighborhood (Bryce)
 
- Review of the May vote that was taken by the board on the recommendation of the Nomination Committee to name the slate of candidates to be moved for election so all agree Mary Hardesty's name has been added. (Steve)
 
- Report by Lukas Dwelly of AddMor about survey results to be reported. This will likely call for Judy to establish a Fund Raising Development Committee of the board. This committee will meet with Steve and Lukas. (Lukas)
 
- Next meeting of the Board is 7.15.19 at 6 PM at the Center. Main agenda item will be elections of officers.
 
 

 

This City Budget is a Tough One for Everyone! Here is Our Stand-

The letter to City Hall and the Response by Our Two Councilmen-

Let’s start with the letter forwarded on May 30, 2019. Below is an excerpt from the letter that states our issues and interest in meeting with them. Also provided is a brief summary of the June 12 meeting they set up for GPNA representatives to attend.

The letter:

“The extent of the budget short fall that’s been made public leaves us with questions.”

Merely having each of you as our council representatives read this email that shares our collective concerns does not equal are doing enough. As the council members who represent our geographic area we mostly want to meet with you. We propose a meeting at City Hall between you, our elected council representatives and our GPNA Safety Committee members. The main reason we desire this meeting is strengthen the confidence we have in each on of you, and your staff. You have served our association well over a long period now and we thank you. But as we move into this new day of lesser funding we need to call on your leadership to assure public safety stays #1.

All of us are aware that a sad reality of area wide criminal behavior that has been playing out over the past few months and by all appearances it is becoming worse. This never ending media reporting that surrounds the budget coverage has laid out clearly reductions of service have taking place within 4th District Police Division and more could be coming. This is not only known well by residents, but also by the criminal element. The commendable transparency offered by the police concerning the numbers of incidents shows crime being on the rise in a number of neighborhoods in our vicinity; and this includes ours. One example I’m willing to share is the increase in criminal break-ins to residents’ vehicles that are parked overnight. The police shared at our May 20 board meeting that there has been a rash of these and many include the new issue of violators now breaking through vehicle windows. Of course the initial response of a resident to such an incident is anger, but the added response that is happening street by street is rightful fear and concern. Our board is highly committed to supporting what was the prior in place funding levels to assure services tied to the police and fire departments are not reduced by one penny. We don’t want these agencies taking on the brunt of the city’s current budget woes. We are very upset that this reduction of services strategy for these departments has been started before the council’s budget vote, and even before public hearings were held. There is a human toll being paid by neighbors for these too hasty Metro Louisville government actions. We are now on record in writing and would love the opportunity with several of our board members to talk openly with you prior to the late June Metro Council 2019-20 budget vote.

 

The Meeting of 6.12.2019:

The response by Councilman Pat Mulvihill and Councilwoman Barbara Sexton Smith to our letter was immediate and complete. We were provided a meeting opportunity at City Hall with the two of them that last over one hour. Police Major Josh Judah joined us as well. The discussions on various points were productive and we believe effective. The attendees from GPNA represented a majority of our Board of Directors. All the officers attended including President Judy Magre. And the long time chair of our Public Safety Committee Kathleen Davis attended as well. We were heard and we also listened as the difficulties of the budget being able to stay balanced. We heard specifically how important it will be in the near future for the city to work through Frankfort to help see gained greater abilities for relief and support for the largest city in the Commonwealth. Metro Louisville serves as the largest driver of the state’s budget. We made clear to these 2 council representative that we would be willing as a supporter for our area to do our part to help the city making its case. But the next step we have most interest in is our keeping an eye on what ends up being the details of the budget that ends up being passed in a few weeks. The meeting allowed us to have a real sense of the approach our two council members have, but there are 24 other votes to be counted. So now we hold on tight and wait for the vote. And GPNA offers our thanks to Pat and Barbara for their courtesy and candor. They welcomed our input.

Track GPNA's 2019 Activities and Mark Your Calendar to Attend-

GPNA Dates for meetings to be held in 2019

The 2019 General Pot Luck meetings scheduled are for: Track us at our GermanParistown Neighborhood Association Facebook Page Please-

July 1

October 21

All general meetings start at 7 PM and our Pot Luck dinner meetings. GPNA provides the main dish. You are asked to bring a small veggie or dessert dish.

 

GPNA Board meetings scheduled are for:

July 1

July 15

August 19

September 16

October 21

November 18

NO MEETING IN DECEMBER

All board meetings start at 6 PM.

All GPNA meetings are open to the public. And all meetings are held at the GPNA Center, 1094 E. Kentucky Street, 40204-1936

The date for the 2019 Chili Supper to be held with Amvet Post #1 has yet to be scheduled. Also there is a possibility of special called meetings taking place. The notifications for meetings and events not  yet scheduled can be found on the GermanParistown Facebook Page and also on our website at gpnalouisville.com. And please track our ongoing activity and special timely posting made at our Facebook page at this link:

https://www.facebook.com/GermanParistownNeighborhoodAssociation/

----------------------------------------

And finally, here is the minutes for the May 20 GPNA Board meeting that was held at Kore Galleries, located at Hope Worsted Mills, first floor-

GPNA Board of Directors Meeting

5/20/19

Judy opened the meeting at 6:04 PM
Present were Steve, Judy, John G, Bruce, Mary, Kathleen D. and Kathleen E., Brenda, Laura. Mike M,
Bryce.
Guest: Jessica Morrison, LMPD
Board Minutes from April were read and approved. There is no Treasurer Report this month.
Jessica reported that property crimes are high right now, including theft from cars, however no violent
crimes occurred this past month. Jessica noted there are 7000 Homeless registered in the City this year.
Up from 2000 in 2016. As to Graffiti, if you own a building, you can get a mural painted on it and this
deters tagging. Do call 911 if you see tents pop up or incidents of public intoxication.
Voting sites at local churches were closed and new sites have been announced. Check your councilman’s
newsletter or go on line.
Mike reported on GSBA discussed potential events such as a Taste of Germantown. Also, under
consideration is a name change to Greater Germantown BA. A new brochure was passed around.
St Therese Church has approved our plan to erect a flagpole on the grounds. Richard Morris (RLM Bldg)
will do the work. We will dedicate it June 14.
Bryce wants to look into more consistency in the placement of stop signs in the neighborhood. He
proposes all be 4 way stops. He was advised to contact his councilperson to see if the necessary studies
can be done.
We noted the Logan Street Market would be opening first week of June and neighbors might consider
purchasing CSA shares through New Roots,Inc ,which will distribute there.
Mike updated us on property development in the area. Creosalus is to open July 15.
Bruce made a motion we advocate for Cycluvia to take place via the same route this year. Mary
seconded it and all approved.
GPNA honored the memory of Mike Davis by giving a check to Kathleen Davis,
Steve represented us at the CFN breakfast. He connected with numerous members, We authorized $300
to be donated to their fundraiser.
The Nominating Committee named a slate that would add Bryce, Bryce, Robert, Eric, and Kathleen E.,
Mel to the Board in June.
June 19 will be the soft opening of the Center for the Arts.
Wanda Mitchell was introduced as the new Administrative Assistant for Barbara Sexton-Smith.

Mary and Mike made and seconded a motion that Steve draft a letter to Pat Mulvihill and Barbara
Sexton Smith about our concerns regarding loss of core services in the Mayor’s budget. This was
approved.
Our next meeting will be the General Meeting and Board Election.

The meeting ended at 7:40. PM

Respectfully submitted:
Mary Hardesty- Secretary

 

 

 

Bingo!
Well there is always Monday Morning Bingo!
We are completing our 31st year at this same location
GPNA Center
1094 E Kentucky Street
 
Doors open at 9 AM and games start promptly at 10:15 AM
Games are over normally by 12:30 PM or earlier.
License number with the state is 00058
 
Our weekly bingo offers all who come a fun gaming experience in a truly home setting. We have many players who have been regulars for years and years. Come and find out why.
 
Proceeds help pay for cost of our center, maintenance of our raised gardens, annual sponsorship of Germantown Baseball Inc, donations to assist 5 non-profits who provide our support for their Holiday Season care which is then provided to those in need; and finally for the maintenance at the Jim King Rain Garden.
 
For a unique experience that benefits your neighborhood and the city please come and play.